Friday 4 September 2009

Sans Frites - Whitby versus Paris

right. back in case room.

I am intrigued by the identity of the knitter Sonia Rykiel, who yourgroup met in Paris. I wonder if she is an associate of Paul Kosyra fromthe Minsk days. Perhaps she was in Paris on geo-beacon work at the eiffel tower. I recall hitting the left bank crepe scene at 11pm one week in February 2000, I think it was, and sniffing out the avant garde borgeouis scene in old churches and alleys. I ordered some suzettes.
Do you know what my main thought of Paris was? Shall I tell you? I thought: this is like Whitby, only without the chips...

On that basis alone I prefered Whitby. Nothing beats warm greasy chips.
Although the Sacre Coeur had something to it in the evening sun overthe red light district of Montmartres which isn't equalled by the Abbey or the East Cliff. The East cliff has its own magic though, over at the funfair above the khyber pass in august... Under the whale's jaw...
I shall research Sonia and see what I can drag up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

East Cliff? You mean West, I believe. Don't worry - even Columbus got his East and West mixed up.
Incidentally, as far as the crcht set go, it's HAPPENING AGAIN, caps lock on. Though you might not find it. One stick is the new two sticks.
Funny to report also: Chow Mein, a chick from the FAR east cliff, uses two sticks for eating and same two sticks for covert woollens. Never seen her wearing noodles though.
Much in same vein as the old traveller's staff is his secret weapon.