Tuesday 6 September 2011

The Torus

I am no silence hater, but I could certainly get up easier back before couplehood when I would hit the play button and have the sonics of my bloody valentine, underworld or smashing pumpkins as a form of electro-shock therapy to stimulate my tired synapses into daylight mode. I sometimes feel like I've been three quarters asleep for a very long time now... And at the other end of the day, I concur. Music, or else the reassuring sounds and voices of the world service would always lull me to a sound sleep in any far flung corner of the huge pink map.

"In one complex dimension, the only compact examples are tori, which form a one-parameter family. The Ricci-flat metric on a torus is actually a flat metric, so that the holonomy is the trivial group SU(1). A one-dimensional Calabi–Yau manifold is a complex elliptic curve, and in particular, algebraic."

I believe 'torus' is the geometrical name for a donut. But I don't know what all of this means.

No comments: